Cold Opening – January 6th Hearing
members of the House January 6th Committee give their closing statements
- Boy, just from the initial shot of this, it looks like I’m in for a pretty overlong, tell-don’t-show cold open that feels right out of the past-his-prime Jim Downey years.
- After experimenting with the first two cold opens, it looks like we are back to the overused checklist & mad libs hellscape of an open once again…
- I like Michael quite a bit, but he’s not convincing me at all here. I guess him being baby-faced is making it a little hard for me to buy him as a congressman.
- That big Dick Cheney energy line had me groaning out loud.
- Holy hell at the visual of Sarah as Chuck Schumer! Also, a pretty good Nancy Pelosi impression from Chloe, even when her bug-eyed mugging tendencies are a bit much at times, it’s surprisingly fitting this impression of Pelosi.
- After a few initial laughs from Chloe & Sarah, this cold open is continuing to make me zone out, much like how the aforementioned past-his-prime Jim Downey used to regularly do. This is not as nightmarish as I feared, but still very flat & dull.
- I just realized that Mikey & Andrew are the only ones keeping this whole thing afloat; Andrew’s lines and general demeanor here is keeping me entertained.
- The whole Trump conversation excerpts bit is awful, despite Andrew, being the consummate pro that he is, trying his best to save it.
- Did we really need to see James’ Trump again so soon?
- Ok, Mikey’s tough questioning bit made me laugh, as it made Kenan, who’s been corpsing in half this cold open, for some odd reason.
- Jesus Christ, this cold open is going on for EIGHT MINUTES so far. Just end this already!
recent college graduate host promotes value of mental health awareness
- Good energy from Megan right from her entrance.
- Ok, Megan is possibly displaying too much energy for me here, but she’s coming off fun & her fast-paced, quick delivery is impressive for a non-actor.
- Some of these jokes are passing through my head, but that Popeyes joke did make me laugh for how random it was.
- An overall passable monologue that Megan handled well, especially considering the robbery of her home before this episode. The advocacy for the website she mentioned was especially classy and admirable.
Hot Girl Hospital
medical personnel only address aesthetic emergencies
- Hooooo boy. This is giving me very unwanted flashbacks to the notorious Gen-Z Hospital sketch from two seasons ago. Not a good sign.
- While I’m happy to see Punkie & Ego getting good airtime so early into the night, this is not the type of humor I think SNL can pull off well. The sketch is coming off a bit tryhard so far, despite the fun energy in the air.
- Devon’s delivery of his line absolutely killed with the audience and with me.
- The hell happened with Michael just now?! He seemed to have missed his cue causing dead & uncomfortable air. Yikes to say the least.
- Yeah, this sketch is not working for me AT ALL. It seems to be designed specifically for Megan’s fans. I appreciate the energy here, but this is NOT WORKING for me. I won’t be grading this sketch lower than what I’ll give it, but I sure hope this isn’t a preview of how tonight’s show will go on to be.
We Got Brought
at a nightclub, third wheels endure social awkwardness
- Our obligatory rap pretape with Megan. And our very first musical short of the season.
- Great to see Punkie getting good airtime so far into the episode.
- Bowen seems a little out of place compared to the rest, even though his energy is as infectious as always.
- This pretape feels a little by-the-numbers so far, a bit glossy & too colorful too. A decent effort but one I won’t remember by tomorrow.
at a house in the country, an elusive deer exasperates (host)’s dad (KET)
- This seems to be the first sketch tonight with an actual concept behind it.
- Why does Kenan always wear the same wig & mustache combo each time he plays a dad or an elderly figure?
- The turn with the deer is so dumb, yet it’s making me laugh. This goofy concept is cracking me up so far in spite of myself.
- This sketch is going on for a bit too long and the Kenan React turn of it is making me worried of how it’ll end. The energy is helping, at least.
- The ending with the deer & Kenan had me laughing out loud, even when it was extremely dumb & predictable.
counsels guests (host), (PUJ), (AND) with a single word
- Great to see an Ego Nwodim sketch in such an early spot in tonight’s episode.
- Some good dynamic so far between Ego & Megan, and their performances are fine enough, but something feels off so far about this sketch. Not helping it is how pretty one-note it feels.
- Good to see Punkie in this sketch, as her style of delivery seems perfect for its premise.
- Ok, the very long text explaining the Ukraine situation, after initially tricking us that we would get yet another “Girl!” was great and gave me a huge laugh.
- Ah, Andrew has come to save the sketch! Just his look as this character is cracking me up without much effort from him.
- The heck with the audio glitch just now? This is giving this somewhat off sketch a weird, hollow feel. Moreso than it already had.
- All-in-all, a mixed bag of a sketch. Ego was very solid as usual, and I get what the sketch was trying to go for in its format & presentation, but it wasn’t helped by the pacing, overall length, and especially that bizarre audio glitch during Andrew’s scene. Not bad, but a rare miss from the usually-solid Ego.
Please don’t destroy – Wellness
Ben Marshall, Martin Herlihy, John Higgins [real] are bad at wellness
- Another PDD short, for the second week in a row? I’m certainly not complaining.
- So, we’re back at the office this time around. I’d say that’s a good thing, as it’ll hopefully feel more contained than some of the earlier sketches of the night.
- A pretty fast-paced pretape so far, with tons of gags, snappy comments, and energy. It feels like a piece they would’ve done for early last season, but this was probably filmed for this episode.
- No Megan appearance? It feels odd not having the host appear in a pretape not even halfway through the show, especially one as popular as Megan.
Musical Performance – “Anxiety”
volatile Texas moms Debbie (CLF) & Stacey (HEG) say Halloween is satanic
Texan DEW is amazed by NYC awfulness & wants break from male stereotypes
- I didn’t care for the Pelosi/Pence joke. At least it wasn’t one of those tired “LOL gay!” jokes about Pence.
- Another Mitch McConnell joke? Are these going to be in every Update ever? Blah.
- Wow, a Heidi/Chloe pairing behind the Update desk? I see that SNL isn’t wasting any time building up Chloe more and more as one of the show’s leading ladies alongside Heidi, although the latter to a somewhat lesser extent.
- This is shockingly Heidi’s very first Update visit since very early on last season. I hope she returns more frequently this season, as her absence was greatly felt last year.
- ”Debbie Hole” and ”Stacey Bussy”? Are you kidding me with this SNL?!
- I’m not caring AT ALL for where this commentary is going, even with the usual commitment from Heidi & Chloe. I’m getting major late-stage Kristen Wiig vibes from this piece (in particular Chloe’s characterization) and that’s not a good thing.
- Will this commentary ever end?
- WTF with the whole demonic possession bit just now? Chloe & Heidi gave it all, like the consummate pros they are, but this commentary is both baffling and unfunny to me so far.
- Ah, for the third week in a row, we get a newbie Update piece. This time with Devon as himself.
- I’m liking Devon’s personality; he just seems so likable as a person.
- Oof, some of these jokes are NOT landing well with the audience, which is weird considering how hot they’ve been so far into the night.
- I’m enjoying Devon’s delivery & presence, and I’m glad we’re getting to see more of the newbies’ personalities so early into their rookie year.
flat-bottomed girls (CLF) & (HEG) complement curvy fitness trainer (host)
- I’m getting flashbacks to SoulCycle from the initial setup of this sketch.
- Chloe & Heidi have been ALL OVER the show so far tonight.
- This is another sketch tonight that’s clearly directed toward people other than me, just like the Hot Girl Hospital sketch earlier tonight.
- A pretty messy sketch so far, with some direction issues, messed up lines, and expected breaking.
- Megan’s flubbed lines & her attempt to hide her breaking gave me a good laugh. It came off strangely endearing to me.
- I’m not sure we needed the occasional cutaways to Chloe & Heidi throughout the sketch.
- Yeah, the more this sketch goes the more it feels like a big mess, an endearing one at least with all the mishaps occurring. These are sadly, much like the Hot Girl Hospital sketch earlier, more interesting than the sketch itself.
Musical Performance – “NDA” & “Plan B”
St. Andrew’s Center For Shivering Girls gives sweatshirts to single women
- It feels that Chloe has been in practically every single sketch tonight. It just shows the huge push she’s been getting this season with so many veterans out of the show.
- Did we really need Kenan singing here? His inclusion is both unnecessary & annoying, as this piece could be a pretty solid showcase for the host and the female cast members without him being shoved down our throats.
- A very well-shot & performed piece, but this seems light on comedy so far and the Kenan moments are starting to annoy me. Between his self-indulgent breaking in the cold opening & now this sketch, Kenan is starting to come off checked-out of the show to me.
inept substitute teacher (EGN) gives inapt speech to honors physics class
- Fantastic seeing Ego dominating tonight, getting the airtime & utility roles she deserves. Devon & Punkie are also all over the show, which is great, especially the latter.
- A classroom of only three students?
- Right out of the gate, I’m enjoying this out of the ordinary sketch concept; Ego’s very strong leadership skills seem perfect in handling it; the sketch concept itself is much better than a lot of what we got earlier tonight.
- I love the turn after Ego’s dramatic speech, especially her reaction after the reveal that this is an honors-level physics class. Ego’s great straight man skills are well-utilized here.
- Ok, it appears that there are more than just three students. Odd camera angles tonight in general.
- Ego’s various “Detention!“ yells toward the students are cracking me up.
- I even liked the silly ending. This was a fairly solid showcase of Ego’s talents and one that shows why she’s so important to the show today.
Segments Ranked From Best to Worst
Please Don’t Destroy – Wellness
We Got Brought
January 6th Hearing
Hot Girl Hospital
- An overall mediocre effort, but not an episode that I would call flat-out bad. this one was all over the place in both quality and tone. Never finding its footing all night long. Lots of passable sketches, but with barely anything standing out as strong (I’ll make up my mind on that 10-to-1 soon, as I’m still trying to figure out the best rating for it), and a number of messy sketches, some desperate vibes, and a death march of a cold open to start off the night. Megan displayed energy & likable presence, even when she displayed the former too much at times. Aside from a few flubs & brief breaking, she was a game host. I only wish she was given better material. I’m also very pleased with the cast use tonight, for the second week in a row. Let’s hope this balanced airtime continues through the rest of the season.
My Favorite Moments of the Episode, Represented with Screencaps:
- Jack Harlow pulls double duty when SNL returns for the October 29th show. Bye till then!
My full set of screencaps from this episode is here.